Sunday, July 1, 2012

DHW the great

Last night we lost an amazing man in our family. Grandpa was 87 years old! What a life he had and made for all of us. When I think of where Bobby and I are today I can't help but think of the wonderful grandparents we have had to influence the life we enjoy. Don lived for love of God, family and country.

We loved hearing him talk about the house he built in New York with his own two hands. He talked about how hard it was to get a loan. He was so proud of building that house and when he talked about it, you could tell. Those kind of men are rare nowadays. He was a self starter. He uprooted his family to California, all five of his kids and wife, to find a job and better life. This decision he made, led me to meet Bobby. Nothing happens by chance or accident. I realize how his work ethic has shaped the man I married. What a positive role model he was about living the American dream and being proud of a humble life, rich with family.

He served our country in the Navy. He was so proud of being American and being a democrat. His beliefs and love for our country made this younger generation feel connected to a bigger picture. And although our family is divided between the two parties, I believe that his love and commitment to the country is what caused any of us to care so much in the first place. That our place and fight could matter. He told his daughter Donna before he passed to use the picture of him campaigning for Clinton at the funeral. It was one of his favorites.

His marriage to Zella was heart warming. His dedication to her and their kids (no matter what) stays in my mind. He said it wasn't always easy but it was worth it. When I visited him once in the hospital, he was as upset as I'd ever seen him. His wife, was having a procedure done at a different hospital and he couldn't be there when she needed him. What he said to me and the look in his eyes, showed me a love that people dream about having. I think it's one that comes with some heart ache and trials but in the end, is the most beautiful thing to witness. Watching them hold hands at the end was so emotional for me to see. The stories he would tell of their courtship would entertain us all, and sometimes with a roll of her eyes, and a smile, you could feel the love between them.

He is in heaven now and that is very comforting to me. He lost a daughter and his twin brother and the thought of them being reunited makes our pain ease a bit. Telling my kids was hard. Bryce understands loss a little too well now at his age.

Sometimes it hurts just because you can't take the hurt away for others.

I am so happy that I married into a family where family truly comes first. The care he received in his last months from his kids and wife should be the standard of how we treat our loved ones when they require that much care. I hope they all can find some peace now and be proud of the love they showed him. I am extremely proud of them and especially my mother-in-law. To see her be such a comfort to him was emotional and I could only hope one day to be that person to someone as well.

It is weird when these moments in life occur. You expect the world to stop for a second and take pause. It is both a blessing and a curse that life keeps going.

Thank you DWH the great, for being such a wonderful person. You will be greatly missed at the dinner table.







1 comment:

sara harms said...

i just wanted to say how sorry i am for your loss, I will be praying for your family, send my love to them and i will be praying!